Forget any thoughts that all would be quiet on the A-Rod front while he recovers from torn labrum surgery. Today Alex is on the cover of the New York Post, kissing his own reflection. The headline is "I love you sooo much."
The photo is from A-Rod's upcoming cover story with Details magazine. But maybe even the Post is getting tired of writing about Alex - he has to share the cover with Barack Obama!
According to the Post:
The mag captures A-Rod's essence, with pictures of him smooching his own reflection, stretching his toned muscles on a bare mattress and brooding seductively for the camera.
Rodriguez wore Calvin Klein T-shirts and tank tops for the spread, evocative of the designer's sexy, envelope-pushing ads.
Click here to see another picture of A-Rod looking into the mirror.
I'm a big proponent of self-deprecation, and perhaps this is A-Rod's attempt of mocking his own image. Maybe this would work if he were in Hollywood. But Alex has never understood that this type of publicity, while part of the game if you're pushing a new movie, doesn't exactly fly in the baseball world.
A-Rod's got, what, at least a half-dozen people on his payroll working on his image, and telling him how to handle the media?
I can give him some much better advice for free: Here's a nice steaming cup of shut the heck up, Alex. Drink it.
Alex also discusses Madonna in the interview, calling her "an amazing entertainer." He also told Jason Gay, the reporter interviewing him, the name of his favorite Madonna song, a tidbit he "frantically reached out to him after the interview to retract" because he didn't want the song to be played by the team's opponents at every game.
So now I'm wondering which Madonna song is his favorite. And you know, there really isn't a good answer to that one for a professional ballplayer, except maybe Madge's "This Used to Be My Playground" from "A League of Their Own."
But I think these Madonna songs would be particularly embarrassing to be the most-played on A-Rod's iPod:
* "American Pie" - I thought the Brady Bunch did the worst cover version ever of Don McLean's classic hit. I was wrong.
* "Like a Virgin" - Although I still think of Weird Al's "Like a Surgeon" parody whenever I hear this song.
* "Vogue" - Think the tan in a can and the frosted tips were a bit much? How about this song as an A-Rod fave!
* "Material Girl" - Oooh, the Material Girl and the Material Boy hook up. Charming.
* "You Must Love Me" - This "Evita" soundtrack song really does fit A-Rod's personality, though. Are we going to have to start calling him A-Vita?
But what do you think? What's your guess for A-Rod's favorite Madonna song? Leave us a comment!