Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Brian Cashman: Rappelling Elf?

I don't even know what to say about the news that Yankee GM Brian Cashman is going to rappel 22 floors down a building with his friend Santa Claus this weekend. Oh, and to top it all off, Cash will be dressed as an elf. What the???

This is one of the weirder stories I've heard this year. When I first read about it on my friend Steve's WasWatching site, I thought it was a joke. I still can't quite believe it's real.

I'm not crazy about Cashman doing this, especially without a net. Leave the rappelling to the trained professionals. If Cashman wants to do something involving a rap-type activity, he should be a special guest star on the new Jay-Z album or something. Not this.

The Yankees have issued a press release about Cashman's participation. Here's some of what he said:

"I've been leaving milk and cookies for Santa for some time now, but this year I wanted to take a more active role in assisting him," Cashman said in a statement released by the Yankees.

He said, "As an elf, you have to be willing to build toys, wrap presents, prepare reindeer for flight, or rappel off buildings for Santa. I take my role as an elf seriously because there are a lot of children out there counting on him."


I guess we really are in the post-George Steinbrenner era. I can only imagine The Boss' reaction to Cashman doing this when it's already December, and the Yankees haven't signed a single free agent. Not to mention that the winter meetings are coming up next week.

It's also a little strange that Cashman is doing such a stunt as GM of a team which has had such very strict non-baseball activity clauses in players' contracts, stemming from Thurman Munson's tragic death in a plane crash. Remember, Aaron Boone got his contract voided from getting hurt playing a game of pickup basketball. Yeah, yeah, I know a GM is different from a player, but if Cash were to get hurt doing this stunt, it would put the team in a bit of a pickle.

Here's hoping Cashman's elf moment comes off without a hitch.

What do you think? Tell us about it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish Omar Minaya did crazy stuff like this when he was the Mets' GM! LOL

Uncle Mike said...

With the Mets' luck, he would have survived... and one of the players would have gotten hurt instead, despite being nowhere near.

Now, if Brian Cashman had been GM of the Mets, he would have let the face of the franchise walk out of spite, and the team...

Actually, if the Mets got rid of Jose Reyes, they'd probably be better.

Search This Blog