Thursday, May 26, 2011

Remembering Dana Brand

Lisa and I had the pleasure of meeting Dana Brand at a SABR event in February 2010. Dana read from his book "The Last Days of Shea: Delight and Despair in the Life of a Met Fan." Almost all of the mainstream media wrote about Shea Stadium as a dump that would not be missed. It was refreshing to hear someone discuss Shea, the ballpark of most Met fans' formative years, so passionately and eloquently.

Now Shea is gone and, shockingly, so too is Dana, way too soon at 56. Not only was Dana a central part of the Met blogging community, but he also was willing to help out a Yankee fan like Lisa when she interviewed Met bloggers for a piece she wrote for The Faster Times.

Dana inscribed my copy of "The Last Days of Shea" as follows:

To Jon
A fellow long-suffering still-believing Met fan.
Someday. . .
Dana Brand
2/6/10

I still can't believe that when someday finally comes, Dana won't be there to share it with all of the long-suffering, still believing Met fans.

Lisa and I send our thoughts and prayers to Dana's family.

We really regret that we only got to meet Dana and hear him speak that one time. Here are two remembrances from people that knew him much better - Greg Prince and Howard Megdal.

2 comments:

Lisa Swan said...

Jon, thanks for that nice tribute. I corresponded with Dana a bit on Facebook, and found him to be a great guy. In fact, I just talked to him online this week about Fred Wilpon.

When I heard the news this morning from his wife about his untimely passing, I was stunned and saddened. What a loss. My condolences to his family.

The Happy Recap said...

It has been 24 hours and the news still has me rocked to the core. If there was one thing I always counted on it was catching up with Dana at some point during the season for a game and to exchange our thoughts on the team (His always more positive than mine). I wrote this tribute to him yesterday http://the-happy-recap.blogspot.com/2011/05/till-we-meet-again.html and Sunday Night we are dedicating our entire show to honoring him. Feel free to call in if you guys are around, should be a very emotional show: www.blogtalkradio.com/thehappyrecap

Search This Blog