Friday, September 21, 2012

How I jinxed Tom Brady and the New England Patriots, and other stories

Sorry, I've been busy with some real-life, non-sports writing projects, so I haven't had time to squawk lately. You can read me at Business Insider and Huffington Post and see some of the things I've been doing.

Anyhow, during this time, I participated in one of those NFL survivor office pools, where you pick a team each week that you think will win. Squawker Jon is in the league, too, and I told him that he could not pick the same team as me.

Anyhow, in Week 1, I picked the Chicago Bears. So far, so good. In Week 2, I looked to see which team was most likely to win, and the Patriots were 13-point favorites. Squawker Jon wanted to pick the Pats, too, but I told him we couldn't choose the same team. So he chose the Giants, while I held my nose and supported New England.

It was a strange thing cheering for the Patriots to win, and you know what happened next -- New England lost, I'm out of the pool, and Squawker Jon had the last laugh. Or maybe I had the last laugh. After all, I jinxed the Patriots -- my jinxing powers know no bounds!

* * *

As for the Yanks, I was pretty unimpressed with their performance against the Boston Red Sox last week. Even thought they won two out of three, the games were too close for comfort. Fortunately, the Yanks have turned it around, and appear to be making the playoffs, barring some last-minute collapse. Tampa Bay spitting the bit certainly helped, too.

Anyhow, I hope to be squawking more as the regular season draws to a close, as long as my schedule cooperates!

In other news, I'm pretty saddened by the Vince Young story. Lots of bad decision-making all around.

What do you think? Tell us about it!

No comments:

Search This Blog