I'm hesitant to say that this season has reached its nadir, as it's possible that rock bottom can be even lower than it is now. But the Yanks aren't exactly looking good at the moment. Let's review:
* The Yankees have lost five games in a row - at home, yet - for the worst losing streak they've had under Joe Girardi.
* Mariano Rivera gave up back-to-back homers in a game for literally the first time ever and two homers in a game for the first time since 1998. He's given up four homers this year (his record for an entire season is five.) And he admitted his arm isn't back to full strength. I'm guessing Wally Matthews is furiously typing his latest "Joba to the pen" screed.
* Andy Pettitte gave up four homers in the game.
* Jorge Posada, already on the DL, could have some company there - Jose Molina, who strained his quad in last night's game. Wonder if Nick Swisher knows how to catch.
* The atmosphere at the $1.5 billion Yankee Stadium is still not like the old one. That sea of empty blue seats are flat-out embarrassing. The good news is that tickets were going for as little as $3 on StubHub for Yankees-Red Sox this week. Even I sold my ticket - although it meant that Red Sox friend of the Squawkers, Bob Ekstrom, gave me much grief for doing so!
* The good thing is that if you want to see homers, this is the place to go. Unfortunately, they're usually from the other team.
* The bullpen is a mess. And even when pitchers like Jose Veras unexpectedly pitch well, somebody else blows the game.
* While Mark Teixeira is still struggling, he did hit a home run with this quote to describe this team: "We just found another way to lose tonight." And that was before last night's debacle.
Have I missed anything?
Alex Rodriguez, come on down! You're the next contestant on, "The Yankees Aren't Right!"
What do you think about the state of the Yankees? Leave us a comment!