Friday, May 29, 2009

On Yankee bonding, hating Monty Python, and offensive t-shirts

A few notes on a Friday afternoon:

* I saw pictures online of some of the Yankee players at Thursday's Cleveland Cavaliers game. Our friends at Big League Stew featured pix of Alex Rodriguez (hobnobbing with Jay-Z), Joba Chamberlain, CC Sabathia and Mariano Rivera. Gettyimages.com also has shots from last night's game, including Robinson Cano also yakking it up with Jay-Z. Incidentally, the rapper now has hair!

Nick Swisher, who was also at last night's game, Twittered about it, saying: "Wow. The Cavs had it going last night. What an atmosphere. Really had a great time. Now its business. Let's go get all 4."

It sounds like a big contingent of the Yanks were at the game, thanks to CC Sabathia getting the tickets - as I wrote earlier, Brett Tomko, Brett Gardner, and Brian Bruney were also there. No Jeter, though.

I think this type of event is a great team-bonding thing, as opposed to how previous Yankee teams over the past few years didn't hang out together much. It really is a different team this year!

* Squawker Jon, why did you have to make a Monty Python reference in today's Squawk? You know how much I hate Monty Python! Quickest way to get me to tune out of a conversation is to make a Monty Python reference. Not a fan.

* I heard about this story from a reader of lohud.com: A Texas woman is griping because the Texas Rangers wouldn't allow her to wear a "Yankees Suck" shirt to the game. Kristen-Knapp Webb, a Rangers fanatic, said a Ranger security guard told her the shirt, a 19th anniversary gift from her husband, violated their code of conduct. She was given the option of turning the shirt inside out, changing shirts, or not being admitted into the stadium. She put the shirt inside out, but left before the game in an apparent snit.

I don't think the woman has any reason to gripe, and I would feel the same way if it were a Boston Sucks t-shirt. Much like the Yankees and Red Sox both ban such shirts in their ballpark, the Rangers do as well. I think it's a good idea.

Besides, this woman should be ashamed to be in her 40s and wearing a shirt that is more suitable for a snotty teenager. She's like school in summer - no class!

What do you think? Leave us a comment!

10 comments:

GM-Carson said...

More Hardball wants to know who has the best starting outfield in MLB. Yankees, BoSox, Brewers, Phils, or Dodgers.

Link- http://morehardball.blogspot.com/2009/05/best-outfield-in-mlb.html

A link would be greatly appreciated.

NAM said...

Lisa,

I could not agree with you more about the offensive shirts. I hate the word "sucks" in general and I think it is unfortunate that it has become so acceptable to sue in public. God, I sound like my mother - when did that happen?

Paul from Boston said...

You don't like Monty Python? Very disappointing. That aside - I do agree with you on the t-shirts. I'm certainly not a prude - but there's nothing wrong with asking people to show a little reserve. My mom would have "brained" me if I said "sucks" (still not sure what that would entail since I never called her bluff). I must admit I do swear too much, but I try to always be aware of my surroundings and I think the same should go for attire.

Always look on the bright side of life Lisa!

Cheers from Boston

JeanneB said...

I have to disagree with the point regarding the shirts. Who cares?
What I find more offensive is the behavior that often accompanies the shirt. (Perhaps this is a chicken/egg conundrum) There should be a rule: if your shirt states what you believe, then you have to keep your mouth shut during the game.
No chanting X team sucks; no throwing stuff at opposing team visitors; no throwing up on the stairs or in the seats after too many beers.
If you can behave like a civilized human being you can wear what you want!

NAM said...

Jeanne,

Where do we draw the line? Are racial slurs ok? Insults to religions? I think we need some good old fashioned decorum and self respect in this country. But I do agree with you about the chanting.

Anonymous said...

If they wear the shirt ...most likely the language comes along with it ...I hate when I'm sitting in the stands and I hear 6 year olds yelling Boston sucks while the father/mother sits there and laughs. Unfortunately respect is a lost art in this day and age.

Peggy

Go Yankees 2009!!

Jill B. said...

Agree with Peggy.... there is just a lack of respect all around that sometimes takes the fun out of the game. Don't see why people can't do positive cheering for their team as opposed to negative chanting for a team they dislike. Maybe I sound 'pollyanna' like, but just something to think about.

Uncle Mike said...

I also can't stand Monty Python. Paul from Boston does? I'm not surprised, even though Manny Ramirez and his silly walks are no longer there.

I think it was the phrase "Disco Sucks" that made using the word "sucks" interchangeably with "stinks" acceptable. Then again, disco really did stink/suck.

I was at the Trenton Thunder game today -- Zach McCallister pitched strongly into the 7th and the Yanks' Double-A team beat Pittsburgh club Altoona, 4-1 -- and there was a Red Sox fan there who countered the Yankees' "Got Rings?" shirt with "Got Rings Lately?" We'll show that (expletive deleted) in October, turning them back into dead parrots and reminding them that New England was NOT meant to look on the bright side of life.

Anonymous said...

Nam
It always does come down to the censorship question. Who is the final arbiter? I am not sure.
I was at a game once and saw 4 guys get thrown out of the stadium for their Boston sux t-shirts. They were sitting in their seats, behaving, not out of control and certainly not calling attention to themselves. Security walked by, told them they had to turn the shirts inside out. They refused and were thrown out. I am not sure if their shirts had said anything but Boston Sux would they have been thrown out.
I am all for people who are making a disturbance or out of control being thrownout of the stadium. But, security at the stadium is so arbitrary.
Do you support the stadium or the guy who got up to go to the loo during G-d bless America?

Jeanne

Paul from Boston said...

Funny you mention disco Uncle Mike...I was just listening to the disco version of the Star Wars theme song. Its right after Tijuana Taxi on my playlist.com list.

Cheers!

Search This Blog