Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Sympathy for the devil: A-Rod gets cheers,Tanaka melts down, Yankees implode

I was at work yesterday, so I didn't get to see the Yankees' Opening Day in person or on TV. But I did listen to the first half of the game on the radio, and the team didn't exactly impress -- Masahiro Tanaka seemed to be pulling his punches, so to speak, when pitching, and the lineup was flat, as predicted.

Also, I wanted to hear what kind of reception A-Rod received (turns out I correctly predicted that he would get the loudest one, and that it was mostly positive.) But why the radio broadcast didn't play the pre-game intros live, and didn't include Rodriguez's intro for his first time at bat since September 2013, is beyond me. I would have rather actually have heard it live, instead of hearing Suzyn Waldman talk about it! (I did get to hear both intros later.)

And it turns out that A-Rod walked up to Jay-Z's "Public Service Announcement" yesterday, specifically to the lyrics, "Allow me to reintroduce myself." (Click here to watch a clip of his intro for his first at-bat.) Cool choice!

After hearing about that, my brother Patrick had his own choice for the walkup theme song: the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil!"!  Heh! C'mon, Daily News, I am very disappointed that you guys didn't put that in a post-game headline, especially considering that Cousin Yuri's wife called A-Rod "the devil" in your paper!

Sure, it is only one game. But let's face it. This Yankee squad is not a good team, and it is not going to be a good team this year. To add insult to injury, Squawker Jon's Mets had an impressive Opening Day victory. Oy.

No comments:

Search This Blog