Thursday, May 13, 2010

Squawker Lisa crosses the line by rooting for the Flyers

Squawker Lisa, it's bad enough that you root for the Yankees, but earlier today, you ended a blog post by saying "Go Flyers!" And that's going too far.

These days, I barely follow hockey. I used to be a big Islander fan, but they have been hard to support for a long time, so I have also pulled for the Rangers and Devils. I realize this is even worse than rooting for both the Mets and Yankees, so I don't pretend to be a diehard fan of any of these teams.

But even I know enough never to root for the Philadelphia Flyers.

Lisa, at least you still have some anti-Philly street cred from when you ran up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art last December wearing a Yankee cap. But what's next? Go Eagles? Santa Claus deserved to be booed? Dave "The Hammer" Schultz was misunderstood?

I'm just going to chalk this up to the traumas you've had to endure over the last few days: Johnny Damon in an enemy uniform, Javier Vazquez pitching well enough to stay in the rotation, the Yankees signing Tim Redding and Dallas Braden getting a week of tributes. But if I ever see you wearing a Bobby Clarke jersey, I'm going to have to act like I don't know you.

***

And if there was not enough reason to hate Philly, now Charlie Manuel has responded to charges that the Phillies are stealing signs by saying that maybe the Mets are cheating because they have such a good home record, but are mediocre on the road.

Up to now, I suspect most Met fans would have worse things to say about the manager Manuel who is in charge of the Mets than the one in charge of the Phillies. But reacting to a warning by MLB by pointing a finger at another team that has not been accused of anything is low even by Philly standards. And it's amazing that, after three straight division titles, two straight World Series appearances and a World Series victory, the Phillies STILL can't get the Mets out of their heads.

3 comments:

Uncle Mike said...

The Philadelphia Flyers are a bunch of low-down dirty thugs. I loathe them.

There is only one team I will root for them against, and that is the New York Rangers. I am a lifelong New Jersey Devils fan (well, their life long, anyway), and I hate the Rangers enough to use the same nickname for them that I use for the Red Sox: The Scum. Capital T, Capital S. To borrow a phrase used by Stephen Jay Gould to refer to the pre-1957 Dodger/Giant rivalry, I hate the Rangers with that hate that only love can understand. May 27, 1994 and Stephane Matteau were my October 3, 1951 and Bobby Thomson. (Come to think of it, Matteau's Number 32 was a reverse of Thomson's 23.)

However... If the Flyers can come back from a 3-games-to-none defict against the Beantown Brats, I will laugh it up at all those Chowdaheads. And then root for the Montreal Canadiens to do what the Yankees did last year, and the Boston Celtics the year before that: Finally win their first title in their new building, and, as they would see it, "restore the universe to order."

Anonymous said...

MINJ, your mindless drivel is not worthy of a response.

Uncle Mike said...

Then why did you respond? Hypocrisy is so unbecoming.

Search This Blog