Friday, September 10, 2010

Are you going to the Jay-Z and Eminem show at Yankee Stadium?

The new Yankee Stadium will host its first concerts ever on Monday and Tuesday, when hip-hop artists Jay-Z and Eminem perform in their "home and home" stadium shows. The dynamic duo did two nights in Detroit's Comerica Park last week, and the concerts got great reviews.

And I really, really want to see one of the Yankee Stadium shows, but any tickets I've seen out there have been out of my price range. (I'm hoping to get lucky on StubHub at the last minute and drag Squawker Jon; I could just imagine how much he'd love the show! Or maybe somebody will have an extra ticket for me or something. You never know!)

I'm a longtime fan of Eminem, thanks to my nephew introducing me to his music, but I only got into Jay-Z last year, thanks to the Yankees, with an assist from Oprah! When Alex Rodriguez started using a Jay-Z song as his at-bat theme song, I started paying attention to his music. Then Jay-Z gave the Yankees a new theme song of their own with "Empire State of Mind." And when I saw him on Oprah, and read her interview with him in O magazine, I was really impressed with him as a person. So I've caught up on his music since then.

I wonder if there are a lot of Yankee fans of a certain age, like myself, whose main exposure to what the kids are listening to these days are at-bat theme songs! But I used to be much more aware of what was happening in music -- especially hip-hop. I was there in person in the 80s when RUN-DMC first broke through and rocked the house at the Garden with LL Cool J and Whodini. I also saw N.W.A. and Eazy-E perform live during the "Straight Outta Compton" era. Nowadays, I can't even remember the last show I saw (I think it was Springsteen, but I can't be sure!)

Anyhow, the two Jay-Z/Eminem shows at Yankee Stadium sound like they are going to be epic, between Jay-Z and Eminem performing on the same stage, and all the guest stars (the Detroit shows had Dr. Dre, 50 Cent, Drake, and Young Jeezy, among other names.) It's this year's version of The Police at Shea, when it comes to impact. I was at that concert in 1983, and I hope I get to go to one of the Jay-Z/Eminem shows this year!

What do you think? Tell  us about it!

1 comment:

David said...

Lisa- Jeter used Empire State of Mind as well...It got really annoying when both of them used it during a game....

Search This Blog