Wednesday, September 8, 2010

John Sterling goes too far with Marcus Thames call

I was busy for most of Labor Day weekend, so I didn't get to see much of what was happening in Yankeeland (although Squawker Jon and I did watch a bunch of the Dallas Braden game when we were eating clam strips at Martell's Tiki Bar!)

But I did hear John Sterling make a horrifying call -- maybe his worst yet -- about Marcus Thames. Sterling exhorted, "Happy Thames are here again" over a Thames hit. Um, no. It's "Happy DAYS Are Here Again." So the play on words here -- using Thames as the word Times -- makes no sense. If Sterling wants to say something about "Good Thames" or something, that would be one thing. But you can't just willy-nilly throw in Thames' name in the "Happy Thames" scenario. It just sounds terrible!

Speaking of terrible, it figures that when I sit down to watch a full game last night, like I did to watch CC Sabathia go for No. 20 against the Baltimore Orioles, that CC would lose his first game at Yankee Stadium in over a year. Bummer.

What do you think? Tell us about it!

3 comments:

Uncle Mike said...

Okay, Lisa, here's the deal: You watch the Yankees at Martell's (where they're about 0-25 when I'm there), and I'll take your ticket and watch them live. That'll break both of our jinxes!

No, that's no good. Jon will want me at Citi Field every time Mike Pelfrey pitches there. (The Mets are 2-0 with a 1.50 ERA when that happens.)

Uncle Mike said...

You know what, I don't care that Nick Swisher's Sterlingcall is "Swish-a-licious!" As long as Nick can do that, Sterling can say anything he wants!

Except "something sort of Grandish." That one really has to be going, going, gone.

Ardy said...

Nobdy can touch Sterling. Ask that guy on b--gspot that uses his name in the URL.

Search This Blog