Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Is SNY blacking out UltiMET Classic episodes?

I was watching a little of SNY's "UltiMET Classic" episode last night, while waiting for "Dancing With the Stars" to start. Come to think of it, what's more embarrassing - admitting to watching an old Mets game, or admitting to watching "Dancing With the Stars"? I say watching the Mets!

And if you must know, I'm rooting for Chad Ochocinco to win "DWTS." He's got a real star quality about him that's immensely appealing.



Anyhow, I digress. Michael in California, one of our readers, told me that he's unable to see any of the Met "Classic" episodes on SNY. He's able to see the channel, just not the old-time games. Get this - he said the UltiMET Classic games are blacked out!

What's up with that, Squawker Jon? Is showing Johan Santana attempting to save the 2008 season, before the Mets blew the last game of that year, really so precious that it needs to be blacked out outside of the NYC area? What, is this competing in California with some old Dodgers game or something? I don't get it.

So I have two questions for our readers. One is if they've also experienced these blacked-out classic Met games. The second is whether or not the YES Network blacks out classic Yankee games. It's all a big mystery.

One other thought - when is "Dancing With the Stars" ever going to pick a baseball player for the show? It's time!

What do you think? Tell us about it!

7 comments:

nutballgazette said...

The Yankees do not black out Classic games, I saw one the other night, I think it was game 5 of the 2000 WS. The problem is there are no Met Classic Games..(Just Kidding Jon)

BklynSoxFan said...

I think it has something to do with MLB rules that prohibit showing even classic games outside the home team's area. I remember the Red Sox documentary I appeared in was blacked out outside New England on NESN because of some of the classic footage that was shown (from 1967).

Pretty dumb if you ask me.

nutballgazette said...

I have seen many Yankee Classic games they are shown almost every day. The only thing I can think of this may be happening on Direct TV Feeds only,

Uncle Mike said...

As Nutball pointed out, Game 5 of the 2000 World Series is shown on YES. So you CAN see a classic Met game. Of course, they were on the losing side of it... chuckle chuckle smirk smirk...

Michael in California said...

That's the funny part, "Yankees Classics" on YES are not blacked out, I can view them whenever they're on. I switched to ATT specifically to get SNY, and this is what I get. I can't imagine why the YES network doesn't black out re-broadcasts, while SNY blacks them out. Ah, the life of a Met fan. I suppose if the Mets are going to make so many questionable decisions on the field, I'm just a fool for thinking they would do otherwise off the field! Sheesh!!

Michael in California

Lisa Swan said...

Michael in California sent me this update, via Facebook:

"Lisa, I actually got someone on the phone from SNY. I was told that they black out their games per MLB. They stated that the YES network has a different contract with MLB which does not have the same restrictions and they are working with MLB to remove the restriction for SNY customers. In short, one again us Met fans get hosed because the crappy ownership can't do anything right."

mhochman said...

My folks in Florida have the same issues with SNY and DirecTV

The blackout rules in general are a pain, I liked it better when I Had DirecTV up here in Maine and DTV still thought I lived in Brooklyn...

Up here, a couple weeks ago there was supposed to be a Mets/Sox ST game on, And it was blacked out on MLB Network because NESN has exclusive rights to Sox games up here, so MLB couldnt show it, the only problem.... NESN Wasn't even showing the game!!!

It's time to update blackout rules.

Search This Blog