Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Nick Swisher sez "No way, dude" to Clay Buchholz's "Sweet Caroline" singalong

I am on record as despising the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline." I hate it oh so very, very much.

It's bad enough that "Sweet Caroline" has become a Red Sox anthem, but then the Mets started using it as their own singalong, which made it even more annoying. Fortunately, I think the Mets finally stopped playing it last year, but this tradition still goes on at Fenway Park.

And the song is just plain creepy. Neil Diamond (you know, the dude in that cringeworthy album photo cover above) said the Caroline he wrote about was Caroline Kennedy. She was all of nine years old at the time. How disgusting are these lyrics being sung to a little girl?:


Hands, touchin' hands

Reachin' out
Touchin' me
Touchin' you

Or these?:

Look at the night
And it don't seem so lonely
We fill it up with only two
And when I hurt
Hurtin' runs off my shoulders
How can I hurt when holdin' you

Yuck.

Anyhow, Nick Swisher is in an ESPN commercial with Clay Buchholz, of all people (Hat tip to Sox and Dawgs for the video) and Swisher also has a negative reaction to the song.

Here's the scene: Buchholz, actor Adam Scott (whoever he is!), and Swisher are sitting around the living room together when the first two burst into a "Sweet Caroline" singalong. They try to get Swisher to join in, and he says, "No way, dude." Left unsaid is why Swisher was hanging out with a Red Sox. At the very least, I hope Swish kept his laptop hidden!

And I might not have known that was Clay Buchholz in the video if it weren't for the description. He's not exactly Youk when it comes to being recognizable!

Anyhow, here's the video:





What do you think of "Sweet Caroline"? Creepy or cool? Leave us a comment!

1 comment:

Sterling Stinks said...

Crickin' Rosie is sooo much better :)

Anyway, I added your site to my home page. Please check out my site (rants about Yankees broadcaster John Sterling)and, if you like it, maybe you can add it to yours. Thanks!

www.sterlingstinks.blogspot.com

Search This Blog