Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Our long national nightmare is over: A-Rod hits No. 600

So, I missed seeing A-Rod's 600th home run! And I forget to tape it, too. Thank goodness for clips on Yankees.com! I'll also watch the clip again in tonight's Yankee encore broadcast. Congrats to Alex Rodriguez.

And a long national nightmare of my own ended today. Here's what happened. I've been very busy studying this summer for my Microsoft Office certification tests. Between the Office 2007 and 2003 software suites, there are twelve tests on various programs. I passed all the tests so far, and today was the final test. Much like A-Rod's long journey to 600, I've had a long journey to pass that exam - literally. The testing location is 55 miles from my house, and when I drove out there last week, there were all sorts of computer problems which prevented me from completing the test, which meant I had to retake the exam today.

This afternoon, I was doing great on the exam until the end, where I had more technical glitches with the software. I asked a tech support person to help. He couldn't figure out how to fix it, and I ran out of time, unable to complete four questions out of 19. The company were going to give me another voucher yet another test retake, but by some miracle, I managed to pass the test, even though I missed doing those four questions. Hooray!

Anyhow, just as I found out I passed my last test, A-Rod was ending his long journey to No. 600, hitting his homer. I got in the car, just to hear John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman talk about how A-Rod got the monkey off his back.

So I'm feeling relief. For A-Rod, for the Yankees, and for me! Kudos, A-Rod! Now, if only the Brett Favre saga would come to a merciful -- and quick -- end, my life would be complete!

What do you think? Tell us about it!

7 comments:

Paul said...

Whatever will the NY media do should the Yankees lose another game without ARod's chase to #600 to blame?

I'm right there with ya on the Favre thing!

Cheers from Boston!

Anonymous said...

National nightmare? Please. National? I don't think so, because no one outside of Yankerland gives a crap what happens inside Yankerland. Nothing the Yankers do counts for anything if it has to be paid for with buckets of cash. "600" might as well be 6. In fact, whatever the number was when he left Texas is still the number as far as I'm concerned. Anything that happens in Yankerland doesn't count because it's been done with lots of dollar signs $$$$$$$. So don't put an asterisk next to Gay-rod's name, like Barry Bonds has, just put a dollar sign $.

Uncle Mike said...

What an idiot. If you hate the money he's getting paid, OR the steroids he admitting using, then you have to stop counting from when he left Seattle for Texas, which is the team that gave him the big contract and where he said he took the stuff -- and the only team we know he took them. Anything he took as a Yankee is, for the moment, nothing but speculation.

And if nobody outside of the New York Tri-State Area gives a hoot about what happens with the Yankees, why do the Yankees lead the major leagues in road attendance -- averaging 34,973 per game?

It is strange, though, that the team currently 2nd in that regard is... Houston, about 900 per game less. What's so special about the current Astros? But the Red Sox are averaging 2,700 less on the road, and the Mets 5,600 less -- and those teams' fans supposedly travel very well.

Anonymous said...

"Anything he took as a Yankee is, for the moment, nothing but speculation."

Where there is smoke there is fire.

Anonymous said...

Yea, for A-ROID and his tainted record; 4EVER!!!

Uncle Mike said...

There's smoke, Freshy, but it's coming from the general direction of your pants, and I ain't talkin' about how you get aroused by Mike Piazza!

Hey, you used the term "Gay-Rod." What's good for the Goose is good for the K-Rod.

Anonymous said...

Mike Piazza is not gay, he's married. Now Derek (very gay name), Gay-Rod, Jor-Gay Posada, and twinkle-toes Rivera - all very gay.

And as far as I know, there's never been any suspicion about K-Rod. He doesn't kiss his reflection in the mirror before taking the field, and he wasn't carrying a purse while trying to bitch-slap the ball from Bronson Arroyo in game 6 2004 ALCS. I know you've seen that picture - hilarious!

Search This Blog