Monday, August 16, 2010

Eat, pray, squawk -- a weekend (mostly) away from baseball

I missed most of the action in Yankeeland this weekend, as I was on the "Eat, Pray, Squawk" tour to coincide with the "Eat, Pray, Love" movie opening!

Squawker Jon and I went down the shore Saturday to attend my high school reunion. Since I went to a Catholic school, that classifies as the "pray" part, I guess. We also had clam strips at Martell's Tiki Bar in Point Pleasant afterwards, which fits in as the "eat" part. And the "squawk" part was in the car with Jon, when it took over 2 1/2 hours of traffic-filled driving to make it to the shore in the first place!

Anyhow, on the way back from the Jersey Shore Saturday night, Jon and I flipped the radio back and forth between the Yankees and Mets games. I didn't get to hear A-Rod's first two homers live, but I did see the third one of the game on TV when I got home. That last homer was the one I would have loved to have heard John Sterling's home run call. He must have gone insane over it!

I did hear Sterling's two Granderson calls, though, and nearly drove off the road laughing at the silliness of them. Yes, Grandy gets both the "Something Sort of Grandish" and "The Grandy Man Can" calls. How is it that him and Mark Teixeira have two home run calls each, and Derek Jeter and A-Rod only have one?

I had committee meetings I had to attend on Friday and Sunday, so I missed most of both games. Then again, I didn't miss much! Losing two out of four to Kansas City is nothing to write home about, that's for sure!

What do you think? Tell us about it!

4 comments:

Uncle Mike said...

Martell's? Point Pleasant Beach? Holy cow. Lisa, I cannot watch the Yankees at Martell's. My family has been going to Point Pleasant since 1974 and every time I see the Yankees on Martell's TVs, they lose. I'm not talking oh and two or even 0-5. It's more like 0-30. This includes Interleague games with the Other Team and Pennant race games with The Auld Enemy. If you were able to see them win at Martell's, this could be a big thing. Especially since it's still summer and I can still get a game in there!

The family took my 3-year-old nieces to their first game yesterday. Or tried to. The results are on my blog. Suffice it to say that the happy ex-Yankee was not Tim Raines Sr.

The Emperor said...

Hey Lisa,

Actually Sterling does have two calls for A-Rod:

"An A-bomb from A-Rod!"

and

"Alexander, The Great conquers again!!"

I agree about Granderson's calls, though. They are so silly that there's no words to describe them - but only John Sterling can pull it off and get away with it!

I hope Sterling never retires.

Lisa Swan said...

Uncle Mike, we were at Martell's before the game, so we didn't remove the jinx! Also, Jon said he saw somebody on TV at Citi Field this week wearing a Yadier Molina World Series jersey. Was that you? ;)

And The Emperor, I stand corrected. I forgot about the whole Alexander the Great thing!

Uncle Mike said...

No, I don't have a Yadier Molina jersey. I just think it's a hoot that the Mets blew a Pennant thanks to a player who is reminiscent of Bucky Dent, but, since he doesn't play for the Phillies or Mets, it doesn't have the same resonance to them that Bucky does to the Chowdaheads.

Search This Blog