Sunday, August 1, 2010

Mets at trade deadline: No news is good news

I'm glad the Mets made no desperation moves at the trading deadline. Apparently, someone remembers Scott Kazmir in 2004 as well as the panic trade of Xavier Nady for Roberto Hernandez in which the throw-in of Oliver Perez first seemed like a steal and ended up as a curse on the team.

But I'm tired of hearing how the Mets are willing to spend, but didn't see anything worth spending on. The Mets talk an awful lot about spending, but cut payroll in the offseason and have not added any since. And how's passing on Bengie Molina for Rod Barajas working out now?

I'm also tired of the Mets's spin that the process shows that the Mets have young players that other teams want. Is Omar Minaya, who infamously traded Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore and Brandon Phillips to rent Bartolo Colon a few years ago, suddenly a good GM because he has figured out that he should hold on to Ike Davis and Jonathon Niese?

At least the Mets are not spinning that they are still in the race.

On a more positive note, Squawker Lisa and I are going to the game today for the Mets Hall of Fame induction. Squawker Lisa seems to think that there's some question as whether Darryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden are Met or Yankee icons. I look forward to seeing her face during their speeches today! Here are some quotes from Saturday:

"We're going into the Mets' Hall of Fame, and that's Cooperstown for me," Strawberry said before the Mets' 5-4 victory over the Diamondbacks last night.

"The Mets will always be No. 1 in my heart," [Gooden] said. "I always wanted to come back here. This is where I started."

2 comments:

nutballgazette said...

Even though I am a Yankee fan, I am with you Jon, Darryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden qre really Met Icons.
I was overjoyed with what they gave the Yankees I will always think of them as part of that great 1986 team.

BklynSoxFan said...

They are both Met icons without any question. They both played across town at the end of their careers and got rings, but they will always be remembered for starting their careers in Queens and being '86 Mets.

And of course, for what COULD have been...

Search This Blog