Friday, June 22, 2012

Mets, Yankees and Chickens

I'm not chicken, Squawker Lisa. Just like Frank Francisco - I've done it before. I'm referring to going to a Subway Series game with you and seeing the Mets win. Sure, it's been a while, but I've got two more shots this weekend, one with the hottest pitcher in baseball.

But I'm not going to say I'd be happy with one win - I agree with you writing  that Ike Davis shouldn't have said that about this weekend. But put Ike's season in perspective. Ike was hitting just .158 two weeks ago, but he's finally finding his groove and has raised his average 32 points since then. That puts Ike at .190. For a week or so now, his big goal has been to get to .200. The Mendoza Line.

Maybe you'd rather hear Ike blustering about leaving Russell Martin (.205) in the rear-view mirror or vowing to make Andruw Jones (.206) eat his dust. But Ike's taking it one step at a time.

Francisco, however, is, uh, counting his chickens before they hatch when he says, “I want to strike out the side against them. I’ve done it before.” As the Post notes, he did it in 2004.

Not sure that Francisco should be bringing up things he did back in 2004. That was also the year he threw a chair in the stands and was suspended for the last 16 games of the season. The MLB executive in charge of the investigation was Sandy Alderson.

But I do like the Post graphic of the chickens with Yankee heads on them. That could be a Subway-Series themed scoreboard graphic - the Yankee chickens slide by in a row, carnival-game style, and when a Yankee strikes out, the chicken flips over and we hear a loud ding.


For this weekend, I'll predict one Met win (at a game we attend!) though I want more. And plenty of clucking from Lisa when she sees her team lose!

2 comments:

Uncle Mike said...

Tell ya what, Francisco: Appear in the postseason before you talk trash about the New York Yankees.

He has been a member of a postseason team, the 2010 Texas Rangers, but did not appear in the postseason.

Anonymous said...

Good predictions Jon! Right on the money. Now that you're on a roll, can you give me tonight's lottery numbers? ha ha

Search This Blog