Sunday, October 25, 2009

Getting ready for tonight's ALCS Yankee victory

Well, when I did my ALCS predictions, I did say the Yankees would win in six games. It's just that I didn't expect the two losses to be so gut-wrenching! But tonight, everything changes. Tonight, the Yankees are going to win and head to the World Series for the first time since 2003. And I think that Yankee fans are confident that tonight is the night.

How do I know this? Because it was pretty much impossible to find a ticket on StubHub today. All the tickets were sold out on Yankees.com. And the Craigslist ads today consisted either of people desperately seeking tickets, or of ticket brokers attempting to sell tickets at an exorbitant rate.

Compare and contrast to 2004, when I was able to buy Game 6 tickets from a Yankees fan for face value - the fan apparently had no faith the Yankees would win. At least that fan sold to a fellow Bomber rooter. On the other hand, A lot of Yankee fans who figured the Sox would win sold their tickets to Red Sox fans. I was also at Game 7 that year - I had bought my ticket as soon as they went on sale - and I unfortunately stayed until the bitter end. There were maybe 20,000 people left in the ballpark at the end -  and about 90% of them were Sox fans!

Anyhow, this is my roundabout way of saying that this isn't 2004 anymore - for one thing, Andy Pettitte and CC Sabathia sure beat Jon Lieber and Kevin Brown! And I think the team doesn't  feel fatalistic, the way they did in 2004.

So, I'll be watching at home - I had no luck getting a ticket - and in about five hours, I should be writing a victory post!

If you want to read my in-game squawks, feel free to friend me on Facebook or follow me on Twitter!

What do you think? Leave us a comment!

2 comments:

Uncle Mike said...

In the words of the immortal Mickey Mantle, "I was in the john, what'd I miss?"

Like hell I missed it. I spell relief "P-E-N-N-A-N-T." Number 40. Sure, it was only 6 years since the last one, but it seemed like an eternity. Especially due to those Chowdaheads from east of the Quinnipiac River. They have nothing to say now. Met fans? They haven't had anything to say since, oh, 1990 or so.

Bravo to Joe Girardi. Despite a couple of slip-ups, he has now managed a Pennant winner.

Bravo to Andy Pettitte. Kept up the pattern, following up a substandard postseason start with a really good one.

Bravo to Nick Swisher. Broke out of his slump to get a big hit and made two big defensive plays.

Bravo to Derek Jeter. Captain Clutch got us on the board.

Bravo to Tino Martinez. He didn't really do anything, but I saw him in the stands (through the TV screen, of course), just before the last pitch, and was I glad to see him. He will always be my favorite Yankee first baseman. (Sorry, Mark. Win 4 rings and we'll talk.)

Bravo to Mariano Rivera, for closing out yet another Yankee title, his 7th Pennant. Also Derek's, and Andy's, and Jorge Posada's.

And, of course, Bravo to Alex Rodriguez. He has been a devastating force ever since he came back from injury, especially in the postseason. He got the biggest RBI of his career and he didn't even have to swing the bat. Now, if you'll give me a minute to wipe this entire carton of eggs off my face...

Congratulations, Alex. You are now a Pennant winner. You are now a True Yankee. You have turned the doubters around. Even me. And, most importantly, you are going to the World Series. Do not waste this opportunity: Keep it going!

110 wins down. 4 to go. Bring on the Fightin' Phils.

Paul from Boston said...

Greetings from Boston. Just dropping by to offer a quick note of congratulations. Should be a good Series.

Cheers!

Search This Blog