Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Who I'm rooting for in the Twins-Tigers game

I'm settling in to watch today's one-game playoff between the Detroit Tigers and the Minnesota Twins. So who am I rooting for? Neither - I have no preference as to which team I want the Yankees to see in the playoffs. Ever since 2006, when I wanted to see the Yankees face the Tigers after the team staggered into the postseason, and Detroit killed the Yanks, I have been reluctant to say which team I want to see in October, for fear it will blow up in my face, and end up killing the Yankees.

What I will say is this - I am completely unsurprised that Minnesota is playing today.I wrote an article on them this Friday for The Faster Times, saying:
...the two teams tying - and playing a one-game playoff for the title - is a real possibility, especially given the buzz that will already be in the air at the Metrodome this weekend as the park hosts its last ever - for now, at least, Twins series.
There isn't much buzz for Detroit, unless it's Miguel Cabrera's incredible .26 blood alcohol level. Good grief.

So much for Peter Gammons' wanting another playoff round  because there was no drama this October.

No matter what happens today,  Joe Mauer deserves the AL MVP, as I lobbied for last month. The only real argument - that his Twins weren't in the playoff hunt - has been decimated by the way they stepped up this October.

While I'm not rooting for the Twins (or the Tigers), my guess is that Minnesota will be the team headed  to New York after the game. And the Tigers will make history by being the first team to cough up a lead they held since early May.

What do you think? Leave us a comment!

6 comments:

Paul from Boston said...

Regardless of who anyone was or wasn't rooting for, this was one hell of a game with plenty of drama. Since I figure at this stage of the game whoever moved on would just get shredded by NY anyway I'd root for the Twins. Detroit just didn't seem to deserve it after coughing up their lead and then starting a player who may very well have still been half in the bag on Saturday.

Anyway - on to the playoffs! Cheers!

Jonmouk71 said...

Just a great, great game. I thought Polanco should have been more in the hole - especially with the rightfielder deep in right-center and a lefthanded hitter up; once the ball gets to the outfield there was no chance at the runner.

Uncle Mike said...

So, we get the Twins again. Ho hum. At least we don't have to once again be terrrrrrrrified at the prospect of batting against The Great and Mighty Johan Santana!

Yanks in 4, closing out the Metrodump. The Gophers have already left. Let the Vikings rot in there as Favre falls apart in December like he did last year.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the bright and cheery forecast Mike. You're a turd.

constant gina said...

I couldnt stop laughing when the Twins player was celebrating and poured champagne on the interviewers head...lol...good times..

Uncle Mike said...

"Anonymous": YOU are calling ME a "turd"? In the words of the immortal Jack Palance, I crap bigger than you.

Search This Blog