So it's official - Mark Teixeira is a Yankee. Mike Francesa was very negative about the press conference, but I enjoyed watching it. Like Michael Kay kept on saying, Teixeira actually looks happy to be a Yank. (Randy Johnson would win the "least happy to be a Yankee" contest!)
I was thinking of having five people introduce the next person before getting to my squawk, like at today's presser, but since Squawker Jon boycotted watching the press conference, I decided against it. So I'll have to go solo with my observations:
* I thought Mark was confident with the press, but seemed sincere, and not slick. He came off as a very likeable guy.
* Mark said something about having decided weeks before to be a Yankee. So it sounds like he did toy with the Red Sox after all. Gotta love it!
* When the microphone went crazy when Brian Cashman was talking, I half-expected a reaction shot of Scott Boras saying "sign Manny or else" to Cash.
* Mark said more than once that signing with the Yankees was a "no-brainer," to which I could imagine Yankee-haters' reaction of "no kidding" to that one!
* Hal Steinbrenner looks like his father, but with Tucker Carlson's hair.
* Boras looks like Tom DeLay.
* And Teixeira? Who does he look like? It's on the tip of my tongue, but I can't think of who it is.
* I guess No. 25 won't be retired for Jason Giambi, after all!
* Besides being a great hitter, and the best glove the Yanks have had at first since Tino Martinez, Teixeira seems like he will fit in well with the Yankee way.
* Loved hearing Teixeira gush wearing a Yankee cap and rooting for Don Mattingly while Teix was growing up in Baltimore.
How many days is it until pitchers and catchers? I can't wait!
What did you think of the Mark Teixeira press conference? Leave us a comment!