What a night! Squawker Jon and I joined Barbra, one of our readers and 10,000 or so of my Yankee fan brethren to watch Game 4 at Yankee Stadium. And, yet again, Jon somehow brought the Yanks good luck, even if they weren't in the building
I nearly lost my voice screaming while watching the ninth inning. The crowd was very loud all game, but we all - except for Squawker Jon, of course - went nuts watching Damon's dash and A-Rod and Posada's big hit. I was so excited when the Yanks went ahead for good that I thought I tore up my vocal cords there!
Anyhow, I'm writing a piece for The Faster Times about the game itself, so I'll have more observations there. But just wanted to talk a little about the watching experience:
* Pretty much all the field level sections from foul pole to foul pole were filled up. And the crowd looked to have a lot of regular working-class people, and tons of families, as opposed to the suits you usually see in those seats.
* That enthusiasm translated into a raucous atmosphere, yet it wasn't beer making people get excited. The crowd seemed louder than most games I've been to this year. Could have done without doing the wave, but other than that, the crowd was really passionate and fun.
* Food, unfortunately, was very limited options - no Lobels or sushi or BBQ this time. Jon was very unhappy over this.
* So, how did it feel to finally get to sit in front of the moat? Well, the seats are cushiony and comfy. But the drink holders in the armrests are a disaster. They did not hold the plastic soda cups well - both our reader and myself separately had the cups flop out and splash soda water everywhere. I'm guessing that they must use some fancy-schmancy glasses in this seats or something, when they have the waitress service going.
* Did I mention the crowd was loud? The subway car on the way back was about the loudest I've ever heard it - people chanting and getting excited. What struck me about the whole night was how this was the best of Yankee fans - lots of enthusiasm for everybody, and everything about the game. No jaded rich people harshing the moment.
What do you think? Tell us about it!