Friday, November 13, 2009

Scandal! A Red Sox fan is in the same movie as Derek Jeter

There's been a whole-to do today about how Derek Jeter is playing a (not-very-convincing-looking) homeless man in a new movie called "The Other Guys." I wrote a Faster Times piece on it.

But the best part of the story came after I posted my article on Facebook. Turns out that my fellow Facebook friend The Omnipotent Q of the Mighty Quinn Media Machine blog is also in the movie - he's a background actor in the film. Q, of course, is a die-hard Red Sox fan - he's the Lieutenant Governor of Red Sox Nation-NY. But don't hold that against him - he's a good guy, and you should check out his blog. Here's what he has to say about being in the same film as Jeter:
Can't wait to see how much face time I got in "The Other Guys." I think I got a few seconds worth, but I'll know when the movie is released. And I guess I can tell the grandkids one day that I was in a movie with Derek Jeter. (Not right next to him, of course, but you understand.)

But really, would I want to do that?
Yikes! And people say I'm too tough on the captain!

* * *

In other news, as Mighty Quinn also notes in his blog, today is the 40th anniversary of the day Felix Unger's wife asked him to remove himself from the premises on "The Odd Couple." In honor of this great date, WPIX is running an 11-episode "Odd Couple" marathon starting tonight at 11. Here are the episodes:

11:00 p.m. Password
11:30 p.m. You Saved My Life
12:00 a.m. Sleepwalker
12:30 a.m. The Flying Felix
01:00 a.m. The Odd Monks
01:30 a.m. Felix, The Calypso Singer
02:00 a.m. Let's Make A Deal
02:30 a.m. The Subway Story
03:00 a.m. The New Car
03:30 a.m. A Grave For Felix
04:30 a.m. I Gotta Be Me

Here's my favorite "Odd Couple" moment:



Speaking of odd couples, there is no truth to the rumor that Squawker Jon and I are getting married. Squawker reader Ryan O saw this tidbit in the news about Game 6:
A television blimp circled above the stadium during the entire game, and at one point the electronic lettering on the side beamed "Lisa, will you marry me? Love John."

The blimp circled the stadium again, and on the next round it brought the answer: She said "yes."
Um, no. Not gonna happen. But Jon and I could be roommates in a new version of the "Odd Couple." Can two Subway Squawkers share an apartment without driving each other crazy? Now there's a reality show for you!


What do you think? Tell us about it!

5 comments:

BklynSoxFan said...

Thanks so much for the link to my article, Lisa. I have to admit to you that I probably will tell people years from now that yes, I was in a movie with your beloved captain!

BTW, ASS-U-ME is one of my favorite "Odd Couple" moments too!!

Jonmouk71 said...

A couple of comments re - Jack Klugman and baseball:

1. In spite of the omnipresent Mets cap worn by Oscar Madison (and worn by Klugman on the cover of his book, Tony and Me: A Story of Friendship), Klugman considers himself a New York fan and roots for both Yankees and Mets.

2. All this in spite of the fact that Klugman was born in.......Philadelphia!

3. And then there is this sequence from the classic film 12 Angry Men:
Juror #7 (Jack Warden): “You a Yankee fan?”
Juror #5 (Jack Klugman): “No, Baltimore.”
Juror #7 (Warden): “Baltimore? That's like being hit in the head with a crow bar once a day.”

Uncle Mike said...

Wow, mentioning the 40th Anniversary of the day that Gloria told Felix to hit the bricks. Why didn't I think of that?

Earlier, that is, than 6:10 AM on the 13th? I even named my all-time Top 10 sports "odd couples." Fred Couples didn't make the list. But three sets of New York sports figures did -- two of them Yankees. Come to think of it, I could have included Willie Mays (who would have been a "Felix") ad Leo Durocher (definitely an "Oscar").

ASS/U/ME is a great moment, but selecting that as the top Odd Couple moment? That's... ridiculous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HGyUhRGeuM

Scroll ahead to 2:10, but the volume on the clip is a little low.

Subway Squawkers said...

Here's a link to Uncle Mike's piece:

http://unclemikesmusings.blogspot.com/2009/11/top10-sports-odd-couples.html

Anonymous said...

Thats one of my favorite clips as well! Thanks for the memory.

Search This Blog