Thursday, March 24, 2011

Shocker! Pedro Martinez Admits to Being "Embarrassed" About What He Did to Don Zimmer

DVR Alert: I got an email today from MLB Network letting me know that Pedro Martinez is going to appear on Bob Costas' Studio 42 MLB Network Show next Wednesday, March 30, at 7 p.m. Eastern. And yes, I will be watching it!

While I hate what Martinez did to Don Zimmer, I also appreciate that Pedro has a quick wit and a real love for the game. Not only was Martinez one of the most exciting pitchers I ever watched, he also is smart and entertaining. I loved to hate him as a Red Sox, and grew to just like him when he was a Met. He was even fun to watch in the World Series as a Phillie, especially when he lost to the Yankees!

Anyhow, the MLB Network sent some of the quotes from the interview, and a link to a sneak peek of the show. He said that throwing Don Zimmer to the ground "was probably the only thing that I might be embarrassed" about for his career, that Grady Little deserves another shot at managing, and why Ted Williams' complimenting him at the 1999 All-Star Game meant more to him than winning the game's MVP that night. Here are some of the topics listed. Thanks again to the MLB Network for sending these quotes!
ON HIS ALTERCATION WITH DON ZIMMER DURING 2003 ALCS GAME THREE:
I think that’s probably the worst highlight that you could ever find about me. Everything else, I don’t mind. …But Don Zimmer was probably the only thing that I might be embarrassed [about] for the rest of my career.

ON BOSTON RED SOX MANAGER GRADY LITTLE LEAVING HIM IN TO PITCH DURING THE EIGHTH INNING OF 2003 ALCS GAME SEVEN:
I say he did what he felt was right for him to do. I would say that I still had stamina and I had good enough stuff to get them out. I would stick to that and I believe that. What you have to do is give those guys on the Yankees side credit for making it happen. I made some great pitches. I don’t think Grady has anything to be blamed for. As a matter of fact, Grady should be in the big leagues with a team, managing a team right now regardless of what happened that day.

ON WHETHER HE COULD PITCH IN 2011:
I’m not ruling it out, I’m leaving the door open but at the same time I’m really getting used to being with the family and getting comfortable. I’m not used to being at home yet, I’m still eager to move and step away from the house and all that, but at the same time my family’s becoming the number-one aspect in my life.

ON MEETING TED WILLIAMS AT THE 1999 ALL-STAR GAME AT FENWAY PARK:
It meant probably so much that I cannot even describe. And not only putting up a show, it was being called in by Ted Williams and autographing my program, and saying, “That was some of the best pitching performance I’ve ever seen.” Those were his words when he said that. He said, “You’re going to be a great one.” To me, that meant so much. Forget about the MVP trophy, it was what he said and what he wrote in that program that meant really a lot to me.

You know, I hope that in 20 years, they do an Old-Timers game with the Yankees and Red Sox of the early 2000s era facing off. Wouldn't that be fun to watch?

What do you think? Tell us about it!

3 comments:

Paul Bartels said...

Not completely on topic, but I think everyone would appreciate my blog post on Why Mets Fans just Cant be Yankees fans...the slow decline of Pedro Martinez is mentioned as well...

http://www.commonsensicalamerican.blogspot.com/

Sully said...

I always felt Zimmer was 100% wrong that day.

Uncle Mike said...

It's good that Pedro sticks up for Grady, essentially saying, "Blame me." Besides, the Sox bullpen (as is so often the case) was hardly confidence-inspiring that season. Though it should be noted that, given another managing job, with the Dodgers, Little wasn't any better.

But if what Pedro did to Zimmer (and my feelings about THAT are well-known to readers of this blog) is the only thing he's ashamed of, then he still needs a conscience transplant. Even if that action can be explained away as self-defense gone wrong, he still essentially announced his intention to commit an act of attempted murder by pointing to his head and then to Posada: He was saying, more or less, "I just hit somebody in the head, puto, and if you want to be next, I can arrange it."

And Sully is clearly still mad at Zimmer for 1978. Which is somewhat understandable (starting Jim Wright and Bobby Sprowl in that series?), but I guess it never occurred to him to blame the players, for simply not being good enough.

Search This Blog