Wednesday, August 19, 2015

On A-Rod's grand slam, Katy Perry's 'Roar,' my Tuesday track night, and how 'I'll show you' is a valid motivator

Doesn't A-Rod look like he's roaring after
hitting his grand slam?
I am exhausted now from running as fast as I ever had in my life tonight with my Tuesday night speed work as part of my half-marathon training. I am also exhausted from screaming my head off when Alex Rodriguez hit a grand slam to win the game tonight for the Yankees! Good thing my landlords are Yankee fans!

I have to say that the redemption of A-Rod is my very favorite baseball-related storyline this year. I wrote in my Washington Post article with that The Redemption of A-Rod title (shameless self-promotion alert):
We want our role models to be perfect, especially for our children’s sake. But what can flawless, contour-free statues — the marble creatures on pedestals — really teach us about overcoming adversity? The reality is that most of us have more A-Rod in us than we do Jeter. No. 2 is cool but boring; No. 13 is the one who, after decades of trying, finally bested his demons — the flawed human who dug his own grave, then climbed out of it.
Outside the #13 luxury suite at
Yankee Stadium last week.
I really am inspired by Alex. Both of us hit rock bottom, in our own ways. (When I look back at photos at my heaviest, I can't believe I let myself go that much.) Both of us didn't exactly have a slew of people believing in us at our lowest points. Both of us faced the snickers and the derision of those who laughed at us, whether openly or behind our backs.  But both of us crawled our way back, and are much better off now in life than where we were last year. As Drake would say, "Started from the bottom/Now we're here." (Actually, he raps, "now we here," but the proofreader/copy editor in me can't abide by that!)

Look, I have tried to stay positive throughout my fitness journey -- I have lost 50 pounds so far, and am trying to do the right things each day. And when it comes down to it, not only do I have people in my cheering corner, but my efforts have also turned some of the doubters into supporters.

However, I have to admit that there is more than a little "I'll show you" spirit in me, especially when I run!

Katy Perry's song "Roar" is reportedly
about Russell Brand, who reportedly told her via
 a text message that he wanted a divorce!
I noticed that tonight at my running club's weekly speed work session at the track. I am usually pretty incoherent when running quickly (yes, I know Squawker Jon will say I am incoherent much of the time!), but tonight I focused on one idea: "I'll show you" -- not really directed at one person or thing, but to the universe.

So as I ran around the track, I kept on playing Katy Perry's "Roar" on my iPhone, one of my go-to "I'll show them all" songs! Some of my favorite phrases in the song are the following (emphasis added to my favorite parts):
I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath
Scared to rock the boat and make a mess
So I sat quietly, agree politely
I guess that I forgot I had a choice
I let you push me past the breaking point
I stood for nothing, so I fell for everything
You held me down, but I got up
Already brushing off the dust 
You hear my voice, you hear that sound
Like thunder gonna shake the ground
You held me down, but I got up
Get ready 'cause I've had enough
I see it all, I see it now

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar.'
So anyhow, tonight I ran my fastest-ever times. (Granted, we are talking 10+-minute mile speeds, but given that two years ago, I couldn't even walk faster than 16:30 a mile, this is huge progress for yours truly.) That's at least partly because I channeled my anger at the universe into my running.

I wonder if Alex channeled his own anger at the universe into his plate appearance tonight, in which, after going 1-for-27 and not hitting a home run since his birthday last month, he hit his 25th career grand slam to win the game for the Yankees. Not bad for the "unclutch" Rodriguez, eh?

* * *

I have recently started writing down my vision for myself, to help manifest it in the universe. (It sounds New Agey, but I don't care!)

My vision for A-Rod and the Yankees is that they win title #28 this year, beating the Mets in a Subway Series (good for the Squawkers, remember!) and that A-Rod is the World Series MVP. Part of my vision for myself is that I finish my October half-marathon in less than three hours, and that I am in striking distance of my goal weight at that point.

I also am throwing out to the universe my desire to interview Alex (whether on or off the record) after the year is over. I really would like to know more about how he got off the proverbial mat when he appeared to be down for the count. Dare to dream!

No comments:

Search This Blog