Wednesday, August 5, 2015

David Ortiz is a big ol' hypocrite. And here's why.

David Ortiz, back when he was slim
and trim and didn't hit homers.
David Ortiz is at it again. For somebody who has this jolly, beloved reputation, he really is a crybaby. Waaaaah!

The latest thing Ortiz did was passive-aggressively throw Alex Rodriguez under the bus. (Note: I also can't stand passive aggression; it drives me nuts when women do it, and even more when men do it! Especially when Ortiz does it! Be a man, not a sorority girl, dude!)

Ortiz told the New York Post the following about his former friend (emphasis added):
“It is what it is,” Ortiz said before the Yankees blew out the Red Sox, 13-3, Tuesday night at the Stadium. “The guy is playing the right way now — as far as we know. He’s having a good season and doing the right thing. I guess that deserves credit.
Meow! Need a saucer of milk with that, Big Papi?

Then Ortiz deposited this in the litter box that is the Post:
 “He’s having a good season,” Ortiz said. “Me, personally, I thought having a year off and getting older was something that would affect you, but he looks good to me.”
Hmmmm. I seem to remember Ortiz whining in The Players' Tribune, A-Rod frenemy Derek Jeter's site, about people making assumptions about him using PEDs due to such clues. Specifically, without naming him, he slammed Bostom Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy for asking questions:

In 2013, I came off the DL and started hot. My first 20 games I was hitting like .400. And the reporter with the red jheri curl from The Boston Globe comes into the locker room says, “You’re from the Dominican. You’re older. You fit the profile of a steroid user. Don’t you think you’re a prime suspect?”

He’s saying this with a straight face. I had taken like 70 at-bats. Anybody can get hot and hit .400 with 70 at-bats. I was stunned. I’m like, I’m Dominican? I fit the profile? Are you kidding me?
Of course, as I noted back in March, Ortiz exaggerated what Shaughnessy actually said and wrote, which was this:

But you fit all the models. You are from the Dominican Republic. You are an older player. Older players don’t get better. You’ve had injuries consistent with steroid use. You showed up on the list from 2003. You fit all the formulas.

“[Expletive], I’m a human being just like everyone else,” said Ortiz. “You can get worse or you can get better. One or the other.’’
Anyhow, I find it fascinating that Ortiz was so prickly about people suggesting the he fit a PED user profile, and then he does the same thing to Rodriguez. That's why I call him a big ol' hypocrite. 

1 comment:

Uncle Mike said...

Sox fans and other Yankee Haters complain about A-Rod. But, you know what? A-Rod was caught, and he lied about it, and then he fessed up, and got punished, and served his time. And if you think he isn't the most-tested player in the game, then you need to think again. He's clean now.

Ortiz got caught, and he still lies about it. And the evidence suggests that he's never stopped cheating. And Boston, all of New England, the baseball establishment, and the American media still treats him as a baseball hero. He's cheated, he's lied, he'd been defiant about his lying, and he has not only been allowed to continue playing baseball, but in the postseason, and was named, by the collective media covering a World Series, the Most Valuable Player of that Series.

That's the problem: A-Rod served his time, while Ortiz and his fans refuse to even accept that there's been a crime. It's hypocrisy and sanctimony. A-Rod is like Bill Clinton, which would make Ortiz Newt Gingrich. Except Gingrich might be thinner. (Maybe that makes Ryan Braun "Jim Wright" -- or Michael Kay "James Carville.")

Search This Blog