Friday, April 10, 2009

Mark Teixeira sends a Tex message, and Nick Swisher drives in five sweet RBIs

Our long national nightmare is over. The New York Yankees finally won a ballgame. Thank goodness we don't have to see doomsday headlines about the season if the Yanks (shudder) had gone 0-3.

Some in the media act as if Yankee fans are so impatient and demanding. But I think it's some writers themselves. The site Sully Baseball compiled some of the ridiculous things written in the papers about the Yankees' Opening Day. It's just plain embarrassing.

I didn't get to see yesterday's game live, as real-life commitments got in the way of watching the outing. But I did hear that John Sterling's home run call for Mark Teixeira exclaimed that Mark sent a "Tex message." Yes, a Tex message. Now that's the kind of corniness I've come to love from Sterling!

No word, though, on what home run call Sterling made for Nick Swisher yesterday. Anybody know?

Swisher - and Robinson Cano - seem very hungry this year, which is refreshing.

And I didn't want A.J. Burnett as a Yankee, but I've been impressed with his demeanor since his introductory press conference. And yesterday, I was impressed with his pitching. Also, I know it's still early, but I'm glad to see more sparkling work from the Yankee bullpen, much as they did last season.

It was sad, though, to hear about Nick Adenhart's death. What a tragedy.

What do you think of the state of the Yankees? Leave us a comment!

1 comment:

Uncle Mike said...

"Tex message"... What's next, prospect Austin Jackson becomes "Action Jackson"? Maybe "Mr. October Jr." (because of the Jackson name)?

If I were not a Yankee Fan, two things about the 1996-present Yankees would really upset me: Sterling, and that hold-up move Jeter makes with his hand in the batter's box, as if to say, "Excuse me, umpire, but I'm Derek Jeter, Captain of the New York Yankees, and this at-bat begins when I say it does."

But since I am a Yankee Fan, and know what Jeter does afterward, I live with it. Sterling... uh, let me get back to you on that...

Okay, on to serious business: It was good to see Teixeira (how many ways are we going to misspell that name?) get on track. Of course, going back as long as I can remember, Yankee first baseman have gotten off to slow starts. Yes, even Tino Martinez. In fact, especially Tino. And the guy before him was notorious for that as well, what was his name, I think he's now a coach for one of the California teams... Of course, Chris Chambliss did it, too, but he tended to have some pretty good finishes -- right, Howard Cosell?

Search This Blog