Thursday, April 22, 2010

Another day, another near no-hitter! Phil Hughes almost does it

I was exhausted last night, and went to bed early in last night's  West Coast game. So I missed all the drama about Phil Hughes pitching a no-hitter into the eighth inning.  Call me selfish, but I'm kind of glad that Hughes didn't pitch a no-hitter when I wasn't watching!

What a wacky way to end a no-hitter, though, with the ball bouncing off Hughes himself like that, and him  then not being able to find it. The pitcher said:
"To have it end that way is kind of a bummer. That's the game," Hughes said. "Yeah, frustrated. It's so hard to do, to throw a no-hitter. You don't get many opportunities to do it."
 If I had been up watching the game, I would have thrown something myself!

On the bright side, remember when Hughes' bid for a no-hitter against the Rangers ended with an injury? This was much better than that nightmare of a night!

Anyhow, at  least I'll get to watch today's game - it's on at 3:35 p.m., and not this late-night stuff.  Who knows - maybe CC will do something special!


If  you watched last night's game, tell us your thoughts!

3 comments:

Larry Koestler said...

Definitely the best start of Hughes' young career.

Unknown said...

Yeah, CC might do something special... if Girardi lets him.

Say what you want about Joe Torre, Lisa, but I once saw him let Hideki Irabu pitch a complete game. At Fenway Park. And not on TV: With me in the old dump. Emperor Joseph III (if you count McCarthy as I) was ready to take CC out if he was STILL pitching a gem. He can take that pitch count and... then again, it was in Tampa's dome, so that IS where the sun don't shine!

Riddering said...

Pointing to Torre as an example for how to use pitchers is almost as bad as comparing Girardi unfavorably to Dusty Baker.

Search This Blog