Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Grandy Man Can: John Sterling does it up right for Curtis Granderson!

Right after Curtis Granderson hit the home run off Jonathan Papelbon last night, I went on Twitter and wrote, "Burning question - what was John Sterling's Granderson call this time? I hope it was 'The Grandy Man Can'!"

And guess what? I got my wish!

I may not know 65-year-old show tunes, but I do know the "Candy Man" song, from one of my all time favorite movies, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." It was a huge song when I was a kid - I even remember doing some routine to it in dancing school. I also grew up watching variety shows, and saw Davis in his glory many a time. Forget "Finian's Rainbow;" this is a pop culture reference I can understand!

So, how did Sterling do the Grandy Man Can in the call? Well, first he did the "Something Sort of Grandish" call that I can't stand, then he added "The Grandy Man Can" to the home run call, by (yes!) singing it. Twice!

I guess you could say that Sterling mixed it up with love and made the call taste good!

The good folks at It Is High, It Is Far, It Is...Caught! - who referenced this Squawker just the other day - have done their own tribute to John - and to Sammy - featuring the call, mixed with Davis' own version of the song:



What do you think? Tell us about it!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd like to take credit for this. That's what I said the call should be since the Yankees traded for him!

Subway Squawkers said...

Oh, I know that! I just thought it was the best one, and the one Sterling should have used in the first place!

Unknown said...

You don't need to tell me that! I was very, very disappointed with his call Sunday night. Everyone knows "The Candy Man," but he had to go with some obscure reference. I'm glad he straightened himself out.

Uncle Mike said...

I can't wait for Granderson to hit one out with the bases loaded, so "Eyewitness News" anchor Scott Clark -- who I actually met outside Fenway during the 2003 Playoffs -- can say, "Somebody call the deli, it's a Grand-erson salami!" Better, I suppose, than ESPN's Tony Reali doing his awful Sean Connery impression: "Operation Grahnd Shlahm."

It took Alex Rodriguez 6 seasons for me to admit he was a True Yankee. It took Curtis Granderson 3 games.

Subway Squawkers said...

Andrew, I wish you would go back to blogging again. Scott Proctor's Arm was one of the very best Yankee sites out there. Maybe you could start a new one - Nick Johnson's Operations or something?

And oy, Uncle Mike, you know how much I hate that True Yankee thing!

Unknown said...

Haha, I do miss it at times, but I just haven't had the time to do it to the best of my ability lately. Hopefully I can get back into it eventually.

Anonymous said...

For the love of God, why does ANYONE actually LIKE John Sterling? The Yankees are a billion dollar industry, and this is the best we are given to listen to on the radio at gametime? Sterling isn't charming or funny. He's tedious and awful to listen to. I'm a lifelong, die hard Yankees fan, and he regularly makes me hope the Yankees never hit long fly balls anywhere, and that the game is won 1-0 by someone on 4 straight walks. Though in thinking about that, I'd have to listen to a 3 inning rant about how AWFUL it was. Don't you think, Susan?

Search This Blog