Thursday, April 15, 2010

Why booing Javier Vazquez is mind-numbingly stupid

I guess we know who will take Alex Rodriguez's place as the designated Yankee scapegoat. It's Javier Vazquez, who got booed during yesterday's home game. And I think it's just as ridiculous to boo him, as it was for Yankee fans to boo A-Rod - I've written a piece for The Faster Times griping about it.

I'm sick and tired of hearing the "I bought my ticket, I have the right to boo" excuse. Yes, you technically have the "right" to boo your own players. You also have the "right" to stand up and talk loudly on your cell phone throughout the game. But in each case, I also have the "right" to call you a tool for doing so.

Squawker readers know I didn't want Javier Vazquez as a Yankee. But as long as he's in pinstripes, I'm going to cheer for him every time he's on the mound.  It's counterproductive to boo him, especially since he appears to be sensitive to the booing.

Anyhow, please check out my full-scale rant on this for The Faster Times, and tell me what you think.

2 comments:

Uncle Mike said...

Booing Vazquez is stupid. He didn't lose that 2004 ALCS Game 7. Kevin Brown did. Granted, Vazquez played the hand he was dealt that night very badly, but the loss was only slightly more his fault than mine -- and I wasn't in the ballpark, or even in the State of New York that miserable night.

Besides... how can it be anyone's fault that the Yankees lost, except for the people who supplied David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez (and perhaps others as yet unproven) with steroids?

Anonymous said...

Completely agree with you, except I like Vazquez and I think he has good stuff.

He throws a lot of first ball strikes, every season in majors over 200 innings pitched (except for one at 198), and in 2009 had 238 strikeouts last season with a 1.03 WHIP.

Vazquez was rattled clearly on the mound with men on base. He got faster when should have slowed down, and I felt for the guy.

Players are humans, regardless of status no everyone is void of emotions. This is a group of bullies.

Search This Blog