Monday, July 20, 2009

More thoughts on Old Timers' Day, the Yankees' sweep, and Julian Tavarez

Squawker Jon, while I greatly enjoyed your Julian Tavarez blog entry, I must point out what Jennifer Lopez did last month when stuck at a Mets game with husband Marc Anthony. She snoozed!

But in recent years, J-Lo was seen smiling it up with A-Rod - and wearing a Yankee hat to boot. Heh.

* * *

In other news, I was glad to see Joba Chamberlain pitch like the old Joba again yesterday. And it was good to see the Yanks win all three games against the first-place Tigers, even though the Bombers only scored nine runs all weekend.

As for Old Timers' Day, it got a little dusty in the Squawker mansion while watching it. I even got a little choked up seeing Don Zimmer make his return. Mel Stottlemyre got a warm welcome as well. 

It got me wondering as to when Joe Torre will ever come back to the Bronx for such an event. It will happen somebody, but it might be an even longer wait than Zimmer had.

One of the moments I really enjoyed about Old Timers' Day was seeing Mike Mussina again. He seemed so much more relaxed and fun than he did for most of his time as a Yankee. I really liked his last season for that reason - he seemed much less tense.

I did half to laugh about his comments to Kim Jones regarding the new Yankee Stadium. I got the impression he didn't like it - he seemed to struggle to find a word to describe it other than "big"!

What do you think? Leave us a comment!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lisa ...

Joe Torre will be in Yankee Stadium very soon...next year...the Dodgers will be playing the Yankees in Interleague.

Peggy

Go Yankees 2009 !!

Search This Blog