Friday, June 12, 2009

Was last night really the worst loss of the year? Some readers disagree with me


So much for having a clear-eyed, fresh outlook after getting a good night's sleep. I'm still just as cranky over the Yankees' loss last night, and the fact that they are 0-8 behind the Red Sox. And I make no apologies for feeling that way. It is what it is, as Brian Cashman would say.

But some of our readers disagree with my assessment that it was the worst game of the year. Squawker reader Peggy thinks it's just another loss:
I find ANY loss a bad loss whether it's by 10 runs or 1 run, whether we lose it the lst inning or the 9th inning, no matter what team we lose to...either way it's a loss....It's the fans who take it more to heart and dwell on these things like it's the end of the world.
I completely disagree. When was the last time the Yankees went 0-8 to anybody, much less their most hated rivals?

I'm also not buying that the Yanks weren't upset over the way the series turned out. The look on Mark Teixeira's face after he made the last out said it all.
And while I think - and hope - that the Yankees turn the page tonight on last night's debacle, I don't buy that they think it's just another game, either. When even Joe Girardi, the eternal "glass is half full" kind of guy, said "it stinks" last night, and that losing that game was "not fun." that's something.

I also can't remember the last time I saw the Yankee broadcasters look so down in the postgame; they looked like they were covering a funeral!

Oh, and speaking of Mark Teixeira, Red Sox co-owner John Henry tweeted after the game (Hat tip to Was Watching) that it was the curse of Mark Teixeira. How silly is that (Teixeira, who nearly hit for the cycle Wednesday, hit better than anybody else on the Yanks in the series)?? And what does it say about Henry that instead of celebrating his team's sweep, the Red Sox co-owner is twittering about curses like a fan would? Guess he's got to still justify not going the extra mile to sign "MT," as Henry referred to him. Sounds like his brain is also MT!

Another reader said:
Lisa I think you are overreacting a bit to say "Worse. Loss. Ever." NOTHING I REPEAT NOTHING will get rid of the bitter memory of losing 3 in a row including GAME 7 AT HOME in the 2004 ALCS. Period end of story.

WE all are very annoyed that they've lost 8 in a row to the Red Sox but frankly, right now the Sawx have better pitching (starting and relieving) than the Yankees.
Of course 2004 was worse, but this debacle was definitely the worst loss of the season. As for the pitching, Josh Beckett aside, the Yanks got flummoxed by a mediocre Brad Penny and an ancient Tim Wakefield, who the Yankees should know how to beat by now.

One other reader noted:
What if we didn't give these Red Sox losses so much power? Doesn't that only make it worse? What if, like George Costanza-- we did the opposite of angst filled hand wringing?
Eh, I don't think there's any way to do a finger in the ears "la la la I can't hear you" with this series. Too many gloating Yankee-haters out there, like my Squawker partner!

Thanks to everyone who expressed their thoughts on the game - I enjoyed reading all the varying opinions this morning!

The good news is that the Yanks are only 2 games out with 100+ games to play. Let's hope they take out their frustrations on the Mets tonight! Squawker Jon and I will be at the Stadium this evening to cheer our teams on.

(Image courtesy of Worth1000.com)

What do you think? Leave us a comment!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa ..

As far as the look on Tex's face after the last out...watch any game they lose. Most of the players making the last out have THAT LOOK. They just lost the game...

I agree the Yankees probably hate losing to the Sox a little more than the other teams but I still don't think it bothers them anywhere as much as it does the fans...

Anyway...I'll be at the game too ...maybe I'll bump into you guys ..
:o)

Here's to a win for the Yankees and a loss by the Sox ...

Go Yankees !!! Go Phillies !!!

Peggy

Go Yankees 2009 !!!

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine what George might have tweeted if he were the "old" George. lol

Most likely ...YOUR FIRED ...(I think Trump stole that from George)

Peggy

Go Yankees 2009 !!!

NAM said...

I have to agree with Lisa about the look on Tex's face when Youklis caught that line drive to end the game. I thought it said it all and more.

Have a good weekend all.

Uncle Mike said...

Yes, Peggy, but George also has better hair than Trump. Always has.

And if you're not old enough to remember George's hair in the Seventies (which would make you younger than I am, as KM would love to point out), take a look at Oliver Platt in "The Bronx Is Burning": The face isn't quite right, but he got everything else right, the hair, the expressions, the mannerisms, and oh those awful suits!

"Billy -- I mean, Joe, bat Teixeira 4th, or you're fired!"

Lisa Swan said...

Peggy, my brother just said the same thing as you about Steinbrenner!

Anonymous said...

Uncle MIke ...

I'm ancient ...I saw Mickey (my all time fav) play in the ORIGINAL Stadium.

Lisa ..

Tell your brother ..as Schein would say on SNY Loudmouths..."we share a brain." (I actually HATE when he says that...lol). My favorite show on SNY is Wheelhouse..I like Brandon Tierney...bald head and all.

Hope it stays dry for the game ...

Peggy

Go Yankees 2009 !!

JeanneB said...

At Fenway it is never over 'til it's over. Hard to watch but not unexpected considering Yankee sudden inability to get RISP over the plate. Since we still have 11 more games to play against each other I guess we wait 'til August. Best revenge, go on a winning streak so Boston isn't even close in August. It is a marathon, not a sprint.
And, oh, yeah, pitching, pitching,pitching....
CC looked great through 7 1/3 but who do you trust in the bullpen? I have no idea who I would put in there and have total confidence they wouldn't blow it.

Anonymous said...

It's only 10 more games...7 at YS ...3 in Boston (I'll be at the Friday night game ...8/21). We are playing 18 games this year ..not 19.

Peggy

Go Yankees 2009 !!

JeanneB said...

gee...only 18?! Sunday pkg covers 8/9 and 9/27 games. Honestly, not my favorite games to be at. Too many drunk kids and overzealous security. In a lifetime of Yankee fandom...only left a game early 2 times...both Boston games b/c fans were out of control and I did not feel safe.
I have faith! Come August Yankees are going to kick some butt. This is all a plan...lulling Red Sox into a false sense of security:)

Anonymous said...

Jeanne ...

Just imagine how I'm going to feel being AT FENWAY. The Yankees BETTER win so I can happily skip down Yawkey Way singing "Here Come the Yankees" ...Uncle Mike's favorite song... :o).

I've worn Yankee gear plenty of times in Boston ..haven't had too much trouble..one threat by some 20 year old whippersnappers (doesn't that give my age away..lol). Of course I never wore it to a game but I did wear my Mickey Pinstripe Jersey on the tour of Fenway. I actually had a lot of good natured fun on the tour with the guide. A game is a whole new animal tho' but I'll still wear my pinstripes proudly hoping they don't beat up on "mature" women...(wink).

If you never hear from me after August 21st ..you know why...

Peggy

Go Yankees 2009 !!!

NAM said...

Peggy,

I haven't read too many news stories about Yankee fans disappearing in Fenway. It's much more fun to get our revenge on the field!

Enjoy the weekend with your family!

N.

Paul from Boston said...

Heading up this way, eh Peggy? Hoping to get to a game in that series...hope the weather's better for that one! Good thing they got the game in - it only rained harder as the night went on around here.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, with the way this season has been going, you need to create a special tag for "worst loss ever." I can think of at least five so year this year.

Search This Blog