Friday, June 26, 2009

Squawker Lisa's Subway Series predictions

Squawker Jon is all pleased to start this weekend off with his Subway Series predictions. Me, not so much.

I'm a bit hesitant to make Subway Series predictions for this series. I had such good predictions the last Subway Series. Among other things I said, the Yankees won two games, and they were the ones I picked them to win. I also correctly surmised that A.J. Burnett would outpitch Johan Santana. So I doubt I can top the accuracy of these predictions.

And geez, I hope I don't jinx anybody - well, at least I hope I don't jinx anybody in a Yankee uniform!

Anyhow, I am going to predict the following:

* Yanks will win Saturday, lose Sunday. Friday is a tossup, but the edge goes to the Yankees.

* A-Rod will continue his hot hitting, and break Reggie Jackson's record. Kate Hudson will be spotted at Citi Field.

* David Wright will not hit a homer.

* Francisco Rodriguez and Brian Bruney will get the biggest boos.

* Yankee fans will give a standing ovation to Luis Castillo.

* Squawker Jon will tick me off at least once at tonight's game, and once at Sunday's game.

* If the Yankees win the series, the Met fans will gripe about payroll and injuries.

What do you think? Leave us a comment!

1 comment:

Uncle Mike said...

Met fans, gripe about payroll and injuries? Surely, Lisa, you jest.

Met fans, gripe about payroll and injuries? Whose payroll, their own? Far and away the biggest in the sainted National League?

Met fans, gripe about Yankee payroll and their own injuries? Who do they think they are, Red Sox fans? Actually, the Red Sox have won as many World Series in the last five years as the Mets have in the last 47 years. (And the Yankees in the last 10... grumble... )

When is a starting pitcher a "relief pitcher"? When it's CC Sabathia coming back from his injury last Sunday. If CC had stayed hurt, the Yanks would be in serious trouble as far as reaching the postseason is concerned.

The weird thing is, last Sunday, my family had dinner at a certain restaurant (I won't say which one, but it's a chain), where we hadn't eaten together (at least, not with me) for two years, and that time was the time Phil Hughes was pitching a no-hitter against the Mets and got hurt and hasn't quite been the same since. Like I've said before, I don't believe in curses, jinxes or hexes, except when it comes to sports. But that's spooky.

24-1 over the last two Y-M games? Ouch.

Then again, that number reminds me of Steve Phillips' comment about one Alex Rodriguez. A-Rod 564, Reggie 563? Uh, no. I'll take the runs he drives in, but there's no way in hell a steroid user is a better player than a non-steroid user, no matter how much talent he has.

Case in point: In the wake of the death of Michael Jackson, everyone is talking about (among other things) what an incredible talent he had. But suppose... there was a McGwire/Bonds situation. That is, a young man with a background similar to Michael's, with as much desire to excel but not as much talent to carry it out. And suppose also that there was a drug that gave you as much ability as Michael Jackson, and this hypothetical kid took it, and came up with 7 Number 1 hits and a dozen Grammies. Then we find out he took the drug. Then he lies about it. "Who's bad?" Would we ever consider him the Gloved One's equal, or dare we say superior? Oh no.

As I said before, tonight's game is on YES and SNY, not Fox, so Yankees win. Tomorrow night's game is on (N)ESPN, so the Yankees will probably lose it, and Joe Morgan will be unable to contain his glee. The little fink. A truly great player, despite being only 5-foot-8 (even shorter than I am), but as a broadcaster he's a little fink.

Search This Blog