Worst. Loss. Ever. Or at least for this season.
Yes, I think tonight is the worst loss of the year. More horrible than Tuesday's A.J. Burnett debacle. More gruesome than Wednesday's Chien-Ming Wang implosion. More nauseating than even that 22-4 loss (with the 14-run inning) in April.
Here's why tonight is the most brutal, torturous, gut-wrenching loss of the year:
- You expect to win a game when you finally have an ace who shuts down the other team. While I think CC Sabathia should have exited the game after the Dustin Pedroia walk, I'm not going to kill him - or Joe Girardi - for that. Even with that, CC pitched very, very well - one run through the first seven innings. He should have gotten the win. And no, I don't think having Mariano Rivera get six outs would have been the answer.
- Alex Rodriguez, who has been in a horrendous slump, gets a huge, clutch double to give the Yankees the lead. It seemed like a hit we would see as Yankees Classic moment. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out that way.
- It's one thing to get shut out by Josh Beckett. It's another thing to get shut out by Brad Penny. (And what is it with the Yankees and the 2003 Florida Marlins pitchers, anyway? They're helpless against Beckett, Penny, and Carl Bleeping Pavano. And the one Marlin the Yanks have, A.J. Burnett, can't get the Sox out. Go figure.
- A-Rod's hit was the only hit the Yankees had with runners in scoring position the entire night. Unacceptable.
- Mark Teixeira made a reference after Wednesday's game about how the Sox were doing the little things the Yankees weren't. Like not making dopey baserunning moves, the way Nick Swisher did for the second night in a row. Or like catching fly balls, the way Johnny Damon didn't do.
- What was all that about David Ortiz having a lousy year? All he needed was Yankee pitching to put him back in the groove! Good grief.
- A-Rod gets plunked in the first inning, and the Yankees aren't able to retaliate, thanks to the umpire's warning. Typical.
- Need I mention the fact that the Yankees are 0-8 against the Red Sox? The mind boggles at that number.
Is this the worst loss of the year? Leave us a comment!