Thursday, October 7, 2010

Buzz Bissinger, Roy Halladay, and Twitter

I will write about tonight's great Yankee win in the morning -- I need to collect my thoughts more on this dramatic game, and rewatch the clips! In the meantime, I wrote something for The Faster Times tonight about Roy Halladay's playoff no-hitter (his second no-no this year -- he had a perfect game in May.) And I noted how back in May, "Friday Night Lights" author Buzz Bissinger denigrated  Halladay's perfect game achievement on Twitter, calling him "Hackaday" and a "douche juice bottom feeder."

Anyhow, it's a really weird phenomenon on Twitter, where some sportswriters think that the site is some cosmic playpen, and normal rules of decorum in their profession don't apply to them. Bissinger has a Pulitzer Prize to his name. He would never talk about athletes in his books the way he did with Halladay. Yet he seems to think it's okay to use Twitter to call people he covers profane names like "douche juice." Remember, this is the same guy who told Bob Costas about how bloggers were offensive!

Read the article here, and tell me what you think. 

No comments:

Search This Blog