Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Texas Justice? Rangers finally win a playoff series

I didn't root for either the Rangers or Rays to win their series -- was worried about bad karma, like when I rooted for the Yankees to face the Tigers in the 2006 playoffs. But I have to admit, now that it's over, that I am happy for the Texas baseball fans, who are used to humiliation, not domination, in the playoffs! I lived in Texas for over a decade, and I have friends who root for the Rangers. So I was happy for them. I'm going to write a piece for The Faster Times today talking more about what this series win means for the Rangers, Nolan Ryan, and Texas as a whole.

Anyhow, we've seen the beginning of a new era in Texas, and the end of an era in Tampa Bay. Expect the Rays to be taken apart next year. It's a Florida tradition!

Given that this will be the end of the Rays as we know them, what is up with the Tampa Bay fans who fled Tropicana Field from the seventh inning or so on? A Red Sox fan and I were talking about this on Facebook. I sat through Games 6 and 7 of the 2004 ALCS in person, and my friend suffered through the Sox losing to Cleveland in the 1998 ALDS, as well as two Boston losses in New York. But that's what fans are supposed to do. As he put it, "part of being a fan is sucking it up." He then called Tampa Bay fans "the Los Angeles fans of the East Coast." I agree!

On another note, I woke up yesterday morning to find out that my desktop computer wouldn't turn on. I had a computer technician take a look at it. He said two things could be wrong: the power supply, or the motherboard.

After swapping out the power supply, the technician told me the bad news, that my computer's motherboard was fried, which meant I needed to buy a new computer, an expense I wasn't prepared for! Yikes!

Fortunately, the computer technician was able to save my old data from my hard drive for me, and he charged me a very reasonable rate. If you live on Staten Island, and ever need your computer repaired or fixed for viruses, please go see Computer Doctor of Staten Island. They even make house calls!

What do you think? Tell us about it!

2 comments:

Uncle Mike said...

Those Tampa Bay fans whined for years every time they lost in the expansion-team sweepstakes or a team that threated to move there didn't. (These included Minnesota, Seattle, and, both very nearly, San Francisco and the White Sox.) And they don't show up in a Pennant race? And leave early when they're about to be eliminated?

That's not Los Angeles. That's Atlanta.

Move the Rays to Montreal, and rename them the Expos. Put them in the National League. And kick the Milwaukee Brewers back over to the American League. I want things to make sense again.

Speaking of things that don't make sense, congratulations to the Rangers on becoming the last of the 30 current teams (if you count the Nationals as having done so as the Expos) to qualify for an LCS.

And, from very deep within the "It Doesn't Make Any Sense File," I've posted some musings about the 1960 World Series, on this day, 50 years after the Bill Mazeroski homer. No, it's not whining, it's analysis, and it makes the Pirates look a lot better than they usually do.

Nickie said...

The Rangers deserve an LCS, but the Rays don't need anymore heartbreak. I am feeling mixed emotions about that series. Check out my blog, http://coolkidcorner.blogspot.com/

Search This Blog